As you may already know, dementia can be a challenging condition to live with whether you are the person with the condition or if you care for someone who has it. Every day is different and the care and support required can vary dramatically from day-to-day. In addition to this, caring for someone with dementia requires specialist communication, behavioural skills and routine to ensure identity is maintained and dignity preserved.
At Westminster Homecare we believe that everybody has the right to live the fullest life available to them, and we work hard to enable our clients with dementia to continue living their chosen lifestyle safely and for as long as possible.
Through flexible, tailored care we encourage clients to carry out their daily tasks to the best of their abilities and support them in doing so rather than ‘taking over’. This helps maintain a sense of independence and control that is so important, and can make a big difference to their quality of life.
Although our dementia care is tailored to meet each person’s specific needs our most commonly requested services are:
- Personal care and support
- Respite care for family members, including live-in or night care
- Assistance in participating in the local community through visits to libraries, places of worship, leisure centres or shopping
- Maintenance of current skills and teaching of new communication techniques
- Assistance to keep up hobbies such as music, crafts, exercise, cooking and gardening
Our dedicated dementia care staff undergo specialist training in Dementia Awareness and Dementia Care, ensuring they are equipped with the necessary knowledge and understanding of each stage of this condition.